The PlayStation 5 (PS5) controller, officially known as the DualSense, is a significant upgrade from its predecessor, with enhanced features such as haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. However, like all electronic gadgets, there may come a time when you need to disassemble it, either for cleaning or repair. If you’re wondering how to safely take apart your DualSense controller, this guide is for you. Let’s dive in!
🛑 Disclaimer: Disassembling your PS5 controller may void its warranty. Proceed with caution and at your own risk.
1. Gather Required Tools
Before you start, ensure you have the following:
- A Phillips #00 screwdriver
- A plastic pry tool or flat-head screwdriver
- A soft cloth or surface to work on
2. Turn Off and Disconnect
- Step 1: Ensure the PS5 console is switched off.
- Step 2: Unpair or disconnect the controller from the console to avoid accidental activations.
3. Remove Screws
- Step 1: Flip the controller so the buttons face downwards.
- Step 2: Locate the four screws at the back of the controller. These screws hold the two halves together.
- Step 3: Using the Phillips screwdriver, carefully remove these screws.
4. Open the Controller
- Step 1: Starting from the top (L1 and R1 button area), gently insert the plastic pry tool or flat-head screwdriver.
- Step 2: Carefully wedge apart the two halves of the controller. Be cautious, as they are connected with ribbon cables inside.
5. Disconnect the Ribbon Cables
- Step 1: Once opened, you’ll notice several ribbon cables connecting the two halves. These power the controller’s various features.
- Step 2: Gently disconnect these cables by pulling them out from their sockets.
6. Further Disassembly (if necessary)
If you need to access specific parts:
- For the thumbsticks: Remove the additional screws holding the assembly in place. Lift the thumbsticks directly off their mounts.
- For the battery: It’s held in place with a clip. Gently lift the battery out of its slot. Remember to disconnect its connector cable.
- Step 1: If you’ve removed any components, ensure they are returned to their proper places.
- Step 2: Reconnect all ribbon cables.
- Step 3: Align the two halves of the controller together and gently press until they snap into place.
- Step 4: Replace and tighten the four screws at the back.
Disassembling your PS5 DualSense controller can seem daunting, but with the right tools and a gentle touch, it can be straightforward. Always take your time and handle the components with care to ensure no damage. If you feel uncertain at any point, consider seeking professional assistance.
- Will disassembling my PS5 controller void the warranty?
Yes, in most cases, opening your controller can void the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Can I wash the buttons of my PS5 controller?
Yes, but make sure they are thoroughly dry before reassembling. Do not submerge any electronic components in water.
- What if my controller doesn’t power on after reassembly?
Ensure all ribbon cables are correctly connected and that the battery is securely in place.
- Can I customize my PS5 controller during disassembly?
Yes, many gamers customize their controllers by replacing thumbsticks or faceplates. Ensure any replacements are compatible with the PS5 DualSense controller.
- Should I regularly open and clean my controller?
While regular cleaning can help maintain button responsiveness, frequent disassembling isn’t recommended due to wear and tear on the screws and plastic clips.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.