Fixing stick drift on a PS5 DualSense controller, a common issue where the analog sticks register movement without being touched, involves several potential solutions. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to address this problem:
Symptoms of Stick Drift
- Unintended character or cursor movement.
- Erratic cursor behavior.
- Unprompted controller vibrations.
Causes of Stick Drift
Solutions to Fix Stick Drift
- Recalibrate the Controller: Go to
Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Motion Sensor Calibrationand follow the instructions.
- Clean the Controller: Use a can of compressed air and a microfiber cloth to clean the joystick area. Also, use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol for deeper cleaning.
- Adjust the Dead Zone: Increase the dead zone area in the controller settings. This can be done in the game settings for some games like “Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War”.
- Disconnect and Reconnect to Bluetooth: Power recycle the Bluetooth by turning it off and on from the PS5 settings. This could resolve the drift issue.
- Update PS5 System Software: Ensuring your system software is updated can fix potential issues causing stick drift.
- Adjust Trigger Effect Intensity: Altering this setting might also help with the drift problem.
- Reset the PS5 Controller: Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button on the back of the controller for a few seconds, then reconnect to the console.
- Replace Joystick Modules or Use a Hall Effect Controller: This solution requires technical knowledge or professional assistance. Hall effect controllers use a magnetic sensor for more precise joystick movements, which may eliminate drift issues.
- Avoid using excessive force on the analog sticks.
- Regularly clean the controller.
- Store the controller in a dust-free environment.
- Take breaks to prevent prolonged use.
- Warranty on PS5 Controllers? The PS5 DualSense controller comes with a one-year warranty.
- Can Third-Party Controllers be used? Yes, but they may not offer the same reliability as Sony controllers.
- How to Prevent Stick Drift? Regular cleaning, careful use of analog sticks, and proper storage can help prevent stick drift.
- What to Do if All Methods Fail? If you’ve tried all methods without success, and the controller is still under warranty, contact Sony for a repair or replacement.
While stick drift can be frustrating, these methods offer several ways to potentially fix or alleviate the problem. If none of these solutions work, and your controller is still under warranty, contacting Sony for repair or replacement is a viable option.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.