In an era where digital communication reigns supreme, our email inboxes are inundated with messages—some critical, others not so much. Have you ever found yourself swimming in a sea of unread messages, anxiously wondering if you’ve overlooked an important email? Well, there’s a solution: turning on VIPs in mail. This tool allows you to flag specific contacts as ‘Very Important Persons’ (VIPs) ensuring you never miss an important message.
What is VIP in Mail?
The VIP feature in your mail app is a godsend for email management. It’s a way of filtering and separating messages from specific contacts that you deem ‘Very Important Persons.’ Once a contact is marked as a VIP, their messages will appear in a separate mailbox, making it easier for you to access and respond to them promptly.
The Importance of VIPs in Mail
When you’re getting dozens, if not hundreds, of emails daily, it’s easy to miss one from a crucial contact. The VIP function helps ensure that these important messages don’t get lost in the shuffle. This feature is especially useful for business professionals, entrepreneurs, freelancers, or anyone who relies heavily on email for communication.
How to Turn On VIPs in Mail
Before you can benefit from this functionality, you need to know how to turn on VIPs in your mail. The steps may vary slightly depending on the mail app and device you’re using, but the principle remains the same.
Setting Up VIPs in Apple Mail
If you’re using Apple Mail, follow these steps to turn on VIPs in your mail:
- Open the Mail app.
- In your inbox, find an email from the contact you want to add to VIPs.
- Hover over their name until it becomes clickable.
- Click on their name to open a dropdown menu.
- Click ‘Add to VIP.’
Enabling VIPs in Outlook
Turning on VIPs in Outlook involves assigning a ‘VIP’ category to a contact. Here’s how:
- Open Outlook.
- Go to ‘People’ and select a contact.
- Click ‘Categorize’ in the toolbar and select ‘VIP.’
Configuring VIPs in Gmail
Gmail does not have a specific VIP function, but it offers something similar with the ‘Star’ feature. Here’s how to use it:
- Open Gmail.
- Find a message from the contact you want to prioritize.
- Click the ‘Star’ icon next to their name.
More Tips for Effectively Using the VIP Feature
Turning on VIPs in mail is just the first step; utilizing it effectively requires more. Here are some additional tips to help you get the most out of the VIP function.
Keep Your VIP List Exclusive
Remember, the goal of the VIP function is to highlight the most important emails. If you add too many contacts to your VIP list, you run the risk of it becoming just another crowded inbox. Be selective about who makes the cut.
Combine VIPs with Other Email Management Strategies
Pairing the VIP function with other email management strategies, like setting ‘Do Not Disturb‘ hours, can help create a more manageable and less stressful email experience.
Review Your VIP List Periodically
Your priorities may change over time, and so should your VIP list. Regularly review and update your list to ensure it continues to serve its purpose.
Benefits of Turning On VIPs in Mail
There are several reasons why you should turn on VIPs in your mail. Not only can it help you stay organized, but it can also increase your productivity and reduce stress. Let’s dive deeper into these benefits.
Improved Email Organization
By separating your VIPs from the rest of your inbox, you’ll be able to easily distinguish between critical and non-essential messages. This will save you time sifting through emails and make your email management more efficient.
When you’re not overwhelmed with an avalanche of emails, you can focus on what’s really important. Turning on VIPs in mail can help reduce distractions, allowing you to concentrate on your most important tasks.
Lowered Stress Levels
A cluttered inbox can be a major source of stress. By turning on VIPs in mail, you can make your email experience less overwhelming and more manageable, reducing stress in the process.
- What does it mean to turn on VIPs in mail? Turning on VIPs in mail means marking specific contacts as ‘Very Important Persons.’ Messages from these contacts will then appear in a separate mailbox, ensuring you don’t miss any important emails.
- Can I turn on VIPs in any mail app? Most mail apps, including Apple Mail and Outlook, have a VIP function. Gmail doesn’t have this specific feature, but it offers a similar functionality with the ‘Star’ feature.
- How many contacts can I add to my VIP list? This will depend on the mail app you’re using. However, remember to keep your VIP list exclusive to maintain its effectiveness.
- Can I remove contacts from my VIP list? Yes, you can. Just like adding contacts, you can remove contacts from your VIP list when they are no longer a priority.
- Will turning on VIPs in mail stop other emails from coming in? No, turning on VIPs in mail will not stop other emails. It simply filters messages from VIP contacts into a separate mailbox.
- Is turning on VIPs in mail the only way to manage emails? While turning on VIPs in mail is an effective email management strategy, it’s not the only one. There are other strategies, like setting ‘Do Not Disturb‘ hours and using automated responses, that can also help manage your emails effectively.
If you’re struggling with an overflowing inbox, turning on VIPs in mail can be a game-changer. By ensuring that you never miss an important email, it can significantly enhance your productivity, improve your email organization, and reduce stress. So why wait? Turn on VIPs in your mail today and take control of your digital communication.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.