With smartphones becoming a common source of entertainment for kids, it’s crucial for parents to know how to lock the iPhone screen to prevent accidental taps or swipes during video playback. This guide offers a step-by-step process to ensure your child enjoys their video time without any interruptions.
Understanding the Need for Screen Locking
Before delving into the technical steps, let’s explore why locking the iPhone screen is a smart move for parents.
Why Lock Your iPhone Screen?
- Prevent Accidental Calls or Purchases: Kids might unknowingly access other apps, make calls, or even make purchases.
- Continuous Entertainment: It ensures that videos play without pauses or stops due to accidental touches.
- Protecting Personal Data: Keeps your personal data and apps out of reach from curious little fingers.
Using Guided Access to Lock Your Screen
Apple’s iOS offers a feature called Guided Access, which is perfect for this purpose.
Enabling Guided Access
- Settings App: Open the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone.
- Accessibility: Scroll down and tap on ‘Accessibility’.
- Guided Access: Find and select ‘Guided Access’ under the General section.
- Toggle On: Turn on the Guided Access switch.
Setting Up Guided Access
- Passcode Settings: Tap on ‘Passcode Settings’ to set a passcode that controls the use of Guided Access and prevents someone from leaving an active session.
- Time Limits: You can even set a time limit to control how long the session lasts.
Starting a Guided Access Session
Once Guided Access is set up, you can easily start a session.
Activating Guided Access
- Open the Video App: Open the app where the video will play.
- Triple-Click the Side/Home Button: This activates Guided Access.
- Adjust Settings: Circle any areas on the screen you would like to disable.
- Start: Tap on ‘Start’ to begin the session.
Exiting Guided Access
Knowing how to end a Guided Access session is as important as starting it.
Ending the Session
- Triple-Click Again: Triple-click the Side/Home button.
- Enter Passcode: Type in your Guided Access passcode.
- End: Tap ‘End’ at the top left corner of the screen.
Customizing Guided Access for Different Scenarios
Guided Access is versatile and can be customized for various needs.
Adjusting for Different Videos or Apps
- Customize for Each Session: You can adjust disabled areas and settings for each new session.
Tips for a Smoother Experience
Ensure a seamless experience with these additional tips.
- Ensure Adequate Charge: Guided Access can drain the battery, so ensure your device is charged sufficiently.
- Adjust Brightness: Dim the screen to reduce strain on your child’s eyes and save battery.
While Guided Access is the most effective, there are other methods to consider.
- Child-Proof Cases: These can physically restrict certain parts of the screen.
Locking your iPhone screen while your kids watch videos is an effective way to ensure uninterrupted viewing and prevent unintended actions. Guided Access is a reliable, easy-to-use feature that gives parents peace of mind.
FAQs About Locking iPhone Screen for Kids
- Is Guided Access available on all iPhones? Yes, it’s available on most iPhones running recent versions of iOS.
- Can I lock the volume controls too? Yes, you can disable the volume controls in a Guided Access session.
- Will my child be able to exit the video app? No, if you set up Guided Access correctly, exiting the app won’t be possible without your passcode.
- How do I prevent my child from stopping the video? You can disable the video controls using Guided Access.
- Can I receive calls during a Guided Access session? Yes, but you might need to end the session to fully interact with the call.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.