The SOS mode on iPhones is an essential safety feature. With just a few button presses, users can notify emergency services and send out an alert, providing peace of mind during emergencies.
Why is it essential?
While we hope never to use it, life can be unpredictable. Whether you’re in danger or facing a medical emergency, the SOS mode ensures that help is just a tap away.
Common Reasons for iPhone Sticking in SOS Mode
1. Accidental Activation
The most common reason is unintended activation. It’s easy to accidentally press buttons, especially when the phone is in a pocket or bag.
2. Software Glitch
Sometimes, the software might have a minor hiccup, causing the device to remain in SOS mode.
3. Hardware Issues
While rare, damaged buttons or internal hardware problems could lead the device to get stuck in this emergency mode.
Steps to Exit SOS Mode
1. Manual Deactivation
Usually, a simple swipe is all that’s needed:
- When the iPhone displays the SOS countdown, swipe the slider to stop the call.
2. Force Restarting the iPhone
This method often solves minor software glitches:
- For iPhone 8 or newer: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then the Volume Down button. Follow by pressing and holding the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
- For iPhone 7 & 7 Plus: Hold down the Volume Down and Side buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo shows up.
- For iPhone 6s & earlier: Press and hold the Home and Top (or Side) buttons together until the Apple logo emerges.
3. Update iOS
An outdated iOS can sometimes cause glitches. Always ensure you’re running the latest version:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download any available updates.
Preventing Future SOS Mode Activations
Adjusting SOS Settings
If you find yourself activating SOS mode accidentally:
- Navigate to Settings > Emergency SOS.
- Disable the “Call with Side Button” or adjust the settings according to your preference.
Regular Device Maintenance
Keep your iPhone in optimal condition:
- Regularly update the software.
- Avoid physical damage and use protective cases.
The iPhone’s SOS mode is a fantastic safety tool, but it can be concerning when the device gets stuck in this mode. By understanding the common causes and solutions, you can address the issue efficiently and continue using your iPhone without worries.
- Is there any risk in force restarting my iPhone?
No, force restarting is a standard troubleshooting step. However, always ensure not to overuse this method.
- Can the SOS feature be turned off entirely?
You can’t disable the SOS mode entirely, but you can adjust settings to prevent accidental activation.
- What should I do if my iPhone repeatedly gets stuck in SOS mode?
If the issue persists, consider consulting Apple Support or visiting an Apple Store to diagnose potential hardware problems.
- Will activating SOS mode send my location?
Yes, if you complete the SOS process, your iPhone will send your location to emergency services.
- Is the SOS feature available on all iPhones?
The SOS feature is available on iPhones running iOS 11 and newer.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.