If you’ve found yourself with a cracked or malfunctioning screen on your iPhone 6s, replacing it may seem daunting. With the right tools and a bit of patience, however, you can change it yourself. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you safely change the screen on your iPhone 6s.
1. Before You Start
Gather Necessary Tools
- Pentalobe screwdriver
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Plastic spudger or pry tool
- Suction cup
- Replacement iPhone 6s screen (ensure compatibility)
Prepare Your Workspace
- A clean, flat, and well-lit area
- Organize your tools and parts within arm’s reach
- A small container or bowl to hold tiny screws
2. Opening the iPhone 6s
Shutdown the Device
- Turn off your iPhone 6s to prevent any short-circuits.
Remove Pentalobe Screws
- Located at the bottom next to the charging port, remove the two Pentalobe screws.
Lift the Screen
- Place the suction cup near the home button and gently pull upwards.
- Carefully insert the plastic spudger between the frame and display. Slide it around the phone to unclip the screen.
Note: Be gentle. There are ribbon cables connected that can be easily damaged.
3. Disconnecting the Battery and Screen
Remove Battery Connector Plate
- Unscrew the screws securing the battery connector plate.
- Using tweezers, remove the plate and disconnect the battery using the spudger.
Disconnect the Screen
- Remove the screws from the display connector plate.
- Use the spudger to disconnect the several ribbon cables linked to the screen.
4. Transferring Components to New Screen
Remove the Home Button
- Unscrew and lift the bracket protecting the Home button.
- Disconnect the Home button cable, and carefully pry the button away from the screen.
Transfer the Speaker and Front-Facing Camera
- Remove screws from the speaker/camera assembly.
- Carefully pry the assembly away and transfer it to the new screen.
Note: Handle the components with care to prevent damage.
Attach the New Screen
- Connect the new screen’s ribbon cables.
- Secure them by replacing the display connector plate and screws.
Reconnect the Battery
- Plug the battery connector back in.
- Secure it by replacing the battery connector plate and screws.
Attach the Display
- Line up the top of the display and press it into the frame, moving downwards, until fully seated.
- Reinsert the Pentalobe screws at the bottom.
6. Test Your New Screen
- Turn on your iPhone 6s.
- Ensure that the touchscreen works smoothly and that there are no odd lines or discolorations.
Changing the screen of an iPhone 6s might seem challenging, but with the right tools and patience, it’s an achievable task. However, if you’re not comfortable performing these steps, it’s always best to consult with or hire a professional technician.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.