The iPhone 11 Pro, like all modern smartphones, is a marvel of technology. But even marvels have their vulnerable points. If the touch functionality of your iPhone 11 Pro is acting up, it could be a problem with the digitizer. Let’s dissect what the digitizer is, and how to go about replacing it.
Understanding the iPhone 11 Pro Display
The iPhone 11 Pro’s display is a combination of multiple layers:
- Outer Glass: The first protective layer you touch.
- Digitizer: Located just beneath the outer glass, this component senses touch and sends the data to the phone for processing.
- OLED Panel: This is what actually displays the visuals.
When touch is unresponsive or erratic, it’s often the digitizer that’s at fault.
Symptoms of a Damaged Digitizer
- Unregistered Touch: Parts of the screen or the entire screen don’t respond to touch.
- Ghost Touches: The screen behaves as if it’s being touched even when it’s not.
- Visible Damage: Cracks on the screen can sometimes damage the digitizer below.
If you’re technically inclined and have the tools, you might consider replacing the digitizer yourself:
- Gather Necessary Tools: Screwdrivers, spudgers, tweezers, a new digitizer, and a suction handle are commonly needed.
- Turn off the iPhone: Before starting, always turn off the device.
- Open the iPhone: Using the appropriate screwdriver, remove the screws next to the charging port. Use the suction handle to gently lift the screen, revealing the internals.
- Detach the Old Display: Carefully disconnect the cables connecting the display to the motherboard.
- Replace with the New Digitizer: Connect the new digitizer and secure it in place.
- Reassemble the iPhone: Reconnect the display cables, reposition the screen, and replace the screws.
For most users, visiting a professional is the most sensible option:
- Apple Store: Apple provides genuine parts and expert service. If your iPhone is under warranty or AppleCare+, this might even be free or available at a reduced cost.
- Authorized Repair Centers: There are many service centers authorized by Apple that can replace the digitizer without voiding the warranty.
While the iPhone 11 Pro is a sturdy device, accidents happen. If you’re faced with a faulty digitizer, weigh the pros and cons of a DIY fix versus professional assistance. Remember, while DIY might be cheaper, one mistake could end up costing more in the long run.
- How much does a digitizer replacement for iPhone 11 Pro cost?
- Prices vary based on location, service provider, and warranty status. It’s best to consult Apple’s official website or your local repair center for a quote.
- Is it safe to use an iPhone with a damaged digitizer?
- If only the touch functionality is compromised, it’s generally safe but inconvenient. However, if there’s visible damage, like cracks, be cautious of potential injury from glass shards.
- How long does a professional digitizer replacement take?
- Typically, if the parts are available, Apple Stores and authorized repair centers can replace it on the same day.
- Can I just replace the digitizer and not the entire screen?
- The digitizer and OLED display are fused together in the iPhone 11 Pro. So, even if only the digitizer is damaged, you’ll likely need to replace the entire screen assembly.
- Will replacing the digitizer void my warranty?
- If done through Apple or an authorized center, no. However, third-party repairs or DIY fixes might void the warranty.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.