Accidentally dropped your Google Pixel 7 and shattered the screen? Fret not! With a bit of patience and the right tools, you can replace the screen yourself. Before we go into the steps of replacing a Google Pixel 7 with a cracked screen, it’s crucial to note that self-repair might void any warranty on your device. If you’re unsure, consider seeking professional assistance.
- Replacement screen for Google Pixel 7
- Small Phillips screwdriver
- Plastic opening tools or guitar picks
- Spudger tool
- Heat gun or hairdryer
- Adhesive strips or glue suitable for electronics
- Safety First: Turn off your Google Pixel 7 and ensure it’s fully powered down.
- Warming Up: Use a heat gun or hairdryer to warm the edges of the phone. This softens the adhesive and makes prying the back cover easier.
- Removing the Back Cover: Gently insert a plastic opening tool between the frame and the back cover. Slide the tool around the perimeter to unclip the back cover.
- Disconnecting the Battery: Before proceeding, use the spudger tool to disconnect the battery. This ensures safety while working on other components.
- Accessing the Screen: Remove all visible screws using the Phillips screwdriver. Be sure to keep them organized, as they’re often different sizes.
- Disconnecting the Screen: Carefully locate and disconnect any cables connected to the screen assembly, using the spudger or tweezers.
- Removing the Damaged Screen: Gently pry the damaged screen from the frame. If you face resistance, consider applying more heat.
- Installing the New Screen: Place the replacement screen in position. Ensure you’ve reconnected all necessary cables.
- If your new screen doesn’t come with adhesive, apply new adhesive strips or glue to the back.
- Press the screen firmly into place.
- Reconnect the battery and carefully reassemble the phone by reversing the disassembly steps.
- Testing: Once fully reassembled, turn on your Google Pixel 7. Check the touch response, display quality, and other functionalities to ensure the new screen is functioning properly.
While replacing the screen on your Google Pixel 7 can be a cost-effective solution, it’s essential to handle the device with care during the process. If at any point you feel unsure or uneasy about a step, it’s always best to seek professional help.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.