Cleaning your PS4 is crucial for maintaining its performance and preventing issues like overheating, hardware failure, or noisy operation due to dust and grime accumulation. Here’s an updated guide on how to effectively clean your PS4, both inside and out.
- Preparation: Turn off your PS4 and unplug all cables. Ensure no lights are on, indicating the console is fully powered down.
- Dusting and Wiping: Start by dusting the exterior using a microfiber cloth. If necessary, slightly dampen the cloth to remove stubborn dirt, but be careful not to get moisture inside the console.
- Opening the Console: Open your PS4 to access the internal components. This requires a TR9 Torx security bit screwdriver (or a T9 Torx screwdriver) and a standard Phillips-head screwdriver. Be aware that opening your PS4 might void the warranty, especially for the original model.
- Cleaning the Fan and Internal Components: Use a can of compressed air to blow out dust from the internal components. Keep the can upright to prevent moisture release and maintain a safe distance from the components. Additionally, a brush or old toothbrush can be used to remove dust caked onto the PS4’s fan.
- Reassembling: After cleaning, reassemble your PS4 by reversing the disassembly steps. Ensure all screws are back in place and the console is properly closed up.
- Regular Maintenance: Clean your PS4 externally every month to prevent dust build-up. For internal cleaning, consider doing it every few months, depending on usage and environment.
- Cleaning the Area: Before placing your PS4 back, clean its usual spot to ensure it’s free from dust.
- Ventilation: Ensure the PS4’s location is well-ventilated and not against a wall to avoid dust attraction and overheating.
- Professional Cleaning: If you’re uncomfortable cleaning the PS4 yourself, especially the internal parts, consider taking it to a professional.
By following these enhanced cleaning steps and tips, your PS4 can maintain optimal performance and a longer lifespan. Regular maintenance is key, as dust and dirt are inevitable but manageable with proper care.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.