If you’ve ever ventured into the world of mobile device management or perhaps even toyed with the idea of selling your iPhone, you’ve likely come across the term ‘IMEI’. Let’s unravel the mystery of IMEI and learn how to find it on your iPhone.
Introduction: What’s the IMEI?
IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. In simpler terms, it’s the unique fingerprint of your phone! No two devices share the same IMEI, making it a powerful tool for various purposes.
Why You Might Need Your IMEI
Planning to buy a second-hand iPhone? Check its IMEI to ensure it’s not blacklisted or reported stolen. It’s your trusty magnifying glass in the smartphone detective world.
Lost your iPhone? Or worse, was it stolen? Your IMEI can be used by telecom operators to track or block your device, ensuring no one else gets to scroll through your vacation pics!
Sometimes, you might need the IMEI number for warranty claims or to get service support from Apple.
Methods to Retrieve iPhone’s IMEI
Through iPhone Settings
- Tap on the ‘Settings’ app.
- Scroll down and select ‘General’.
- Dive into the ‘About’ section.
- And voila! Your IMEI will be listed there.
This one’s as easy as making a call to your BFF.
- Launch the Phone app.
- Your IMEI will flash on the screen. No need to even press the call button!
On the Device
If your iPhone’s screen bids you goodbye, there’s still hope!
- For iPhones with a physical SIM tray, eject it and peek inside the slot. The IMEI is engraved there.
- Check the back of the original iPhone box. You’ll find a sticker with the IMEI printed on it.
Got your iPhone synced with iTunes?
- Connect the iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes and select your device.
- Navigate to the ‘Summary’ tab.
- The IMEI will be displayed in the iPhone section.
Verifying the Authenticity of the IMEI
It’s always wise to double-check. You can use various online IMEI checker tools to ensure your iPhone’s IMEI is legit and not blacklisted.
Which one do we recommend? Swappa’s FREE IMEI Check
Once you have your IMEI you can enter it on the Swappa checker and look up things like:
Check IMEI of any iPhone
Check ESN of any smartphone
Check T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, Unlocked
Check GSM or CDMA using IMEI or MEID
IMEI Blocklist Check
Login and credits required
Blocklist check for lost or stolen
Check for device authenticity
Detect carrier activation issues
More Features, Trusted Results
Bulk Check up to 100 numbers at a time
ESN Credits for bulk and paid checks
IMEI History of checks run
ESN Check API (coming soon)
Other Websites To Check For A Blacklisted IMEI
Your iPhone’s IMEI is like its social security number – unique and essential for various tasks. Whether you’re selling, buying, or just curious, knowing how to retrieve it can come in handy. With this guide, you’re now an IMEI expert!
- Is it safe to share my IMEI?
- Generally, avoid sharing your IMEI publicly. But it’s safe for verification purposes, like when selling or checking the authenticity of a device.
- Can two devices have the same IMEI?
- Legitimately, no. If they do, one or both might be counterfeit.
- Is the IMEI the same as the serial number?
- No, they serve different purposes. While both are unique identifiers, the IMEI is specific to mobile devices and their network identification.
- Can an IMEI be changed?
- Technically, yes, but it’s illegal in many places and can lead to a device ban.
- How is the IMEI useful if my iPhone gets stolen?
- Telecom providers can use it to blacklist or track the device, making it useless for the thief.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at email@example.com if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.