Apple products, renowned for their sleek design and intuitive user interfaces, also allow for a high degree of personalization. One such customization is the ability to rename your device. This not only differentiates your gadgets but also gives them a personal touch.
Why Rename Your Apple Device?
Before diving into the how-to, let’s explore why you might want to rename your device.
Easier Identification If you own multiple Apple devices or live in a household where everyone has an iPhone, distinguishing between them becomes crucial, especially when using features like AirDrop.
Personal Touch Giving your device a unique name adds a layer of personal connection, making the device truly yours.
Steps to Change Device Name
Depending on your device, the renaming process might differ slightly. Here’s a breakdown:
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Navigate to
Nameand enter your desired device name.
Doneon the keyboard.
- Click on the Apple icon in the top-left corner.
- Enter your new computer name in the ‘Computer Name’ field.
On Apple Watch
- On your paired iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
Nameand type in your desired name.
On Apple TV
- Go to
General, followed by
- Select Name and input your desired device name.
Tips for Choosing a Device Name
When renaming your device:
- Opt for a name that’s easy to identify.
- Avoid using overly common names.
- Incorporate your interests or hobbies to make it unique.
- Ensure it’s appropriate, especially if sharing with family or in a professional setting.
- Does renaming my device affect its performance or settings?
- No, changing the device name is purely cosmetic and doesn’t impact its functioning.
- If I change my device’s name, will it affect my backups?
- While the device name is used to label backups, renaming your device won’t corrupt or delete existing backups.
- Can I use special characters in my device’s name?
- Yes, Apple allows most special characters. However, be cautious, as some services or apps may not display them correctly.
- How often can I change my device name?
- There’s no limit. You can change the name as often as you’d like.
- Do all Apple devices allow renaming?
- Most do, especially those with user interfaces like iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple TVs, and Apple Watches. However, some accessories or minor devices might not have this feature.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.