Yes, with the advent of iOS 17, you can now share your AirTag with up to five other people. This feature allows a group of friends or family members to track an item using a shared AirTag, enhancing the device’s utility in communal settings.
Understanding AirTag and Its Functionality
- What is an AirTag?: Apple’s AirTag is a small, coin-shaped tracking device designed to help you keep track of personal items like keys, wallets, and bags.
Sharing Your AirTag: The New iOS 17 Feature
- How to Share: To share an AirTag, use the Find My app on an iOS 17 compatible device. Simply tap the “Items” tab, select the AirTag, and choose “Share This AirTag”.
- Limits on Sharing: You can share an AirTag with up to five other people, making it ideal for items used by a group, like family car keys or communal luggage.
The Benefits of Sharing an AirTag
- Communal Tracking: Sharing allows multiple people to locate and track an item, providing peace of mind and convenience.
- Emergency Situations: In case of lost or misplaced items, having multiple users track the AirTag can be invaluable.
Setting Up AirTag Sharing
- Requirements: Both the sharer and the recipients must have iOS 17 or later on their devices.
- Step-by-Step Guide: Open the Find My app, go to “Items”, select your AirTag, and then opt to share it with the chosen contacts.
Managing AirTag Sharing
- Adding and Removing Users: The process to add or remove users from the shared AirTag is straightforward and can be done anytime from the Find My app.
- Control and Privacy: The primary owner of the AirTag maintains control over who can track the item.
- Compatibility Problems: Ensure all users have compatible devices and the latest iOS version.
- Connection Issues: Check for connectivity problems if the AirTag isn’t showing up for all users.
Conclusion Sharing your AirTag with others is a significant enhancement brought by iOS 17. This feature adds a layer of convenience and utility, making it easier to keep track of commonly used or shared items. With the ability to share with up to five people, AirTags have become more versatile than ever.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I stop sharing my AirTag with someone? Yes, you can easily revoke access to your AirTag from the Find My app.
- Does sharing an AirTag affect its battery life? Sharing an AirTag does not significantly impact its battery life as it uses low-energy Bluetooth technology.
- What happens if an AirTag I’m sharing goes out of range? The last known location will be shown in the Find My app, and you can receive notifications when it’s found.
- Can shared users play a sound on the AirTag? Yes, anyone with access can play a sound on the AirTag to help locate it.
- Is the precision finding feature available to all users sharing an AirTag? Yes, if their device supports precision finding, all users can use this feature to locate the shared AirTag.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.