The MacBook Pro is one of Apple’s flagship laptops, celebrated for its sleek design and powerful performance. But like all devices, the 2017 MacBook Pro isn’t immune to battery wear over time. If you’re noticing a decreased battery lifespan or other power-related issues, it might be time to consider a battery replacement. Here’s a guide to help you through the process.
Before You Begin: Key Points
- Backup your Data: Ensure all your important data is backed up to prevent any potential loss.
- Discharge Static: Before opening your MacBook Pro, touch a metal surface to discharge any static electricity.
- Ensure you have the Right Tools: You’ll need a set of P5 Pentalobe and T5 Torx screwdrivers for this process.
Steps for 2017 MacBook Pro Battery Replacement
1. Shutdown and Prep
- Begin by shutting down your MacBook Pro.
- Lay it on a clean, flat surface with the bottom facing upwards.
2. Opening the Back Case
- Using the P5 Pentalobe screwdriver, carefully remove the ten screws securing the bottom case.
- Gently lift off the bottom case to expose the internals.
3. Disconnecting the Battery
- Locate the battery connector on the motherboard.
- Using a plastic spudger, gently pry the battery connector upwards to disconnect it. This ensures the MacBook doesn’t accidentally power up during replacement.
4. Removing the Old Battery
- With the T5 Torx screwdriver, unscrew and remove the screws holding the battery in place.
- Carefully pry the battery out. Some models might have adhesive, so you may need to use a solvent or heat gently to ease the removal process.
5. Installing the New Battery
- Position the new battery into the MacBook Pro’s chassis.
- Secure it with the T5 Torx screws.
- Reconnect the battery connector to the motherboard.
6. Closing Up
- Align the bottom case correctly and gently press to fit.
- Use the P5 Pentalobe screwdriver to secure the ten screws back in place.
7. Power On and Test
- Power on your MacBook Pro and observe the battery performance to ensure everything is functioning correctly.
A Word of Caution
While the process is feasible as a DIY task, if you’re not entirely confident about your skills or the steps, it’s advisable to take your MacBook Pro to an Apple authorized service provider or technician for professional assistance. They have the necessary tools and expertise to ensure the replacement is executed seamlessly without damaging your precious device.
When I’m not writing about tech I’m playing with my dog or hanging out with my girlfriend.
Shoot me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to see a topic discussed or have a correction on something I’ve written.